West Colfax Neighborhood History
The town of Colfax was incorporated in 1891, and annexed to Denver in 1897. It’s original name “Golden Avenue” was changed to “West Colfax Avenue” – named after Vice President Schuyler Colfax. West Colfax was a main street lined with two story brick buildings, stores, saloons, a meeting hall and hotel. All of the agricultural communities of Golden and Morrison converged there. In the 1920s two public schools were introduced and a small boom of housing occurred in the 1940’s and 1950’s.
West Colfax Neighborhood Boundaries
The West Colfax Neighborhood is bound by West 17th Avenue to the North, Federal Boulevard to the East, Lakewood Gulch to the South and Sheridan Boulevard to the West.
West Colfax Neighborhood Amenities
The West Colfax Neighborhood is full of recent developments, history, motels and car dealerships. Its considered a distinctly urban, rapidly redeveloping neighborhood with close proximity to downtown and Sloan’s Lake. Dry Gulch Park connects the town to 85+ miles of paved Denver trails. It also has close proximity to light rail stations and public transportation. A newly redeveloped Rodolfo “Corky” Gonzales Library provides meeting rooms, a media lab, beautiful city views and a roof top courtyard and coffee shop. Favorite places include the 21 hole disk golf course at Paco Sanchez Park and the Seedstock Brewery Taproom.
Updated: 29th September, 2020 11:40 PM (UTC).